Ontogeny of Pinnal epidermis and stomatal apparatus in Encephalartos gratus Prain
by Su J., Li N., Lin J. Z. (2008)
SU Junxia (Coll. Of Life Sci., Shanxi Normal Univ., Shanxi, Linfen)、
LI Nan (Shenzhen Fairy Lake Botanical Garden, Guangdong, Shenzhen)、
LIN Jianzhao (Agriculture Coll.,Guangxi Univ., Guangxi, Nanning)
in Xibei Zhiwu Xuebao 28 (11): 2208-2216 –
The ontogeny of pinna epidermis and stomatal apparatus in Encephalartos gratus Prain have been observed with lm and sem.
The results are as follows:
(1) the epidermal cells change mainly in cell elongation and cell wall-thickening during the development of pinna.the epidermal cuticula occur continuously.
(2) the development of stomatal apparatus can be divided into three stages: guard mother cell, young guard cell and adult guard cell; stomata1 apparatus are haplocheilic or perigenous in origin, and the mature stomata are monocyclic type.
(3) during the development of pinna, the stomatal density is very low at first, then raises rapidly to the peak value, and finally drops gradually to the fixed one.
(4) a few of stomata develop into mature earlier than others.
(5) the pinnal epidermis mature from the base to the top.